Summer Teaching Internship (Illinois Locations)
Kids Science Labs, the leader in center-based hands-on science education, is hiring for our 2019 Summer Science Teaching Fellowship (kids 4-12). We are looking for talented college students to join us as part of our team of leaders that are changing science education forever for kids. Over 60 teaching fellows have graduated from our fellowship program in Chicago and Seattle and we are excited to open up the opportunity for talented applicants for 2019.
We offer a fellowship opportunity for Undergraduates as well as Graduate and Doctoral Student Teachers, who are looking to improve their level of engagement with kids. The desire to be a part of our plan to change kids’ lives forever through Kids Science Labs is a must. The fellowship is highly selective with participants from schools around the country, including students with a broad set of majors (education science, art, psychology, theatre, engineering) that all have one thing in common, they want to help kids change the world and are willing to engage them and help them maintain and grow their curiosity,
problem solving, and innovative design.
We are hiring summer teaching fellows for our locations:
- Lincoln Park (Chicago, IL)
- South Loop (Chicago,IL)
- Roscoe Village (Chicago, IL)
- Northbrook, IL,
- Wheaton, IL
- Vernon Hills, IL
- Seattle, WA.
This opportunity does not include housing!
WHY KIDS SCIENCE LABS?
We believe that wondering “why” can change the world, and our goal each and every day is to teach kids how. If spending a summer laughing, working hard, innovating, and nurturing the curiosity of children makes you feel energized, we would love to hear from you. We are not a school. We are not a museum. We are a progressive and alternative home for creativity, imagination, and problem-solving education. We are Kids Science Labs!
Working as a team, we create a supportive and fun environment. We are looking for eager individuals who share our vision and commitment to making a difference in the lives of kids everywhere through hands-on science. You bring the excitement and strong work ethic and we will provide you with mentoring and training in becoming an engaging educator, collaborator, and problem solver.
This Kids Science Labs 2019 Summer Science Teaching Fellowship in Education is a truly unique opportunity to gain leadership and teaching experience in an inspiring environment where we write on the walls, engage kids where their curiosity lies, and inspire the next generation of leaders through everyday hands-on science.
- BS/BA degree (or degree in progress)
- Previous experience in engaging children (ex: early childhood learning, summer camp guides, etc.)
- Ability to adapt and operate in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Have availability a minimum of 10 consecutive summer weeks
- Passion for hard work and changing the world
- Love of being in the classroom and engaging kids
- High level of personal responsibility and honesty
- Imagination, thoughtfulness, and good sense of humor
- Ability to execute on tasks with energy and enthusiasm
ROLE OF A TEACHING FELLOW
While we have the best hands-on science program in the country all year round at Kids Science Labs, Teaching Fellows are critical to our success every summer as we move from our academic year (September - May) to offering summer camp. Teaching Fellows, who are required to be curious and adaptive, are part of a high performing KSL teaching team that engages kids every day. Together, we explore everything from building go-carts and innovating new toys, to learning about why athletes wear knee braces at the Olympics and how magnets are used inside everyday devices. Teaching Fellows are essential to ensuring that summer camp is an unforgettable experience for the hundreds of kids that attend every week between our Chicagoland and Seattle locations. Make no mistake, although we laugh and have fun, it is still hard work.
The role of a Teaching Fellow is to learn and adapt daily, assist teachers with setting up the classroom experience, learn how to develop mastery of critical thinking skills, be creative, support their teaching team and center, and most importantly engaging students from 9:00am to 5:00pm each day. We are seeking thoughtful, compassionate, and motivated fellows who are interesting in helping impact the way that kids think about the world around them, and providing each student with the empowering experience of discovering something new.
- Joining a collaborative team that loves what they do and is committed to affecting the lives of kids every single day
- Establishment of strong mentoring relationships with experienced teachers and leaders.
- One (1) hour long break daily & Free Lunch Fridays
- Several professional development sessions throughout the summer to build skills
- Direct training in how to better engage kids
- Inspire the next generation of creative thinkers
- We care about who you are and who you want to eventually become as a leader, educator, and innovator
- Be a part of a mission-driven, high growth, successful company that is changing the face of education
- A wonderful leadership development experience
- Access to the best hands-on science program and teachers on the planet at Kids Science Labs
- Awesome presentation skills training to captivate any audiences